Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Industry Expert Draft Review

I have been on the lookout for some industry expert leagues to get into this season to represent FFChamps.com and FFLegend.com. I've found a couple of pretty good ones, and recently I took part in my first industry experts league draft of the year. I am competing in this particular league against 11 other fantasy football outlets, including pros from USA Today, CBS Sportsline, Pro Football Weekly, FFIndepth.com (the organizer of the league) and many others.

This league uses the same rules as the World Championship of Fantasy Football, most notably it's a point-per-reception (PPR) league. Our lineup consists of one quarterback, two running backs, three wide receivers, one tight end, one kicker, one team defense, and a flex position player (WR, TE, or RB).


I had the fifth overall pick, so after
Maurice Jones-Drew went No. 1 (mistake!), Adrian Peterson went second, and Matt Forte went third, I was sitting on either Larry Fitzgerald Jr. or Andre Johnson with my pick. Remember, in PPR leagues like this, the popular strategy of taking a running back in the first round does not always apply. Well, as fate would have it, Fitz went No. 4 to PFW so I grabbed Johnson. (Yes, Beavis, that's what I said).

I employed the "do the opposite" strategy and ended up with a team I like a lot, including Johnson,
Greg Jennings, and Peyton Manning with my first three picks, and three 1,000-yard rushers (Ryan Grant, Derrick Ward, and Thomas Jones) in my backfield.

For those of you unfamiliar with the "opposite" draft strategy, I invite you to check out the Fantasy Football University class on
Fantasy Football Terminology at FFChamps.com. It's free to non-subscribers, like all of the FFU classes.

Here's how my team turned out, ordered by round:


1. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans
2. Greg Jennings, WR, Packers
3. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts

4. Ryan Grant, RB, Packers

5. Derrick Ward, RB, Buccaneers

6. Thomas Jones, RB, Jets

7. Bernard Berrian, WR, Vikings

8. John Carlson, TE, Seahawks

9. Percy Harvin, WR, Vikings

10. Eli Manning, QB, Giants

11. Minnesota Vikings Defense

12. Justin Gage, WR, Titans

13. Earnest Graham, RB, Buccaneers

14. Kevin Boss, TE, Giants

15. James Davis, RB, Browns

16. Jason Elam, K, Falcons

17. Rashad Jennings, RB, Jaguars

18. Ryan Longwell, K, Vikings


According to the FFChamps C3 cheat sheet for PPR leagues, I have the No. 2 quarterback, No. 2 and No. 6 wide receivers, No. 2 kicker, No. 2 team defense, and the No. 6 tight end. Waiting on running backs hurt my depth there, but I still wound up with three top-20 backs. I like my sleepers (
Justin Gage and Kevin Boss) and I like Eli Manning's matchup (vs. Saints) on Peyton's bye week. Moreover, my two rookie running backs could surprise and I handcuffed Graham to Ward. I also don't have any bye week issues.

Here is my Week 1 Lineup:

QB - Peyton Manning

RB - Derrick Ward

RB - Ryan Grant

WR - Andre Johnson

WR - Greg Jennings

WR - Bernard Berrian

Flex - Thomas Jones

TE - John Carlson

K - Jason Elam

D - Vikings


All in all, I would say the draft was a success. Let me know what you think of my team.

No comments: